Wednesday, October 28, 2009

For those in the know: Jerk Wad




Made a doll for my niece's costume for Halloween. She wanted to be Coraline this year and when my sister said that she was outbid on a doll on eBay, I stepped up and said I would make it for Megan, no problem! This thing was more work than I expected, and didn't come out exactly how I had pictured, but I think I got pretty close.

The body of the doll is a pre-made blank muslin doll that I painted the shirt and stockings directly on. The face, bow and boots are made out of Wonderflex, a workable plastic that you mold with a heat gun that I seem to have this unhealthy relationship with. I make almost everything with this stuff. Perhaps the face should have been made wider, but I was feeling a bit rushed sometimes. Hair is out of yarn, skirt is from a sheer trim that I was able to make look like a layered skirt, and the jacket is out of a yellow duck cloth. No patterns, and it's a good thing I've made many shirts and jackets in my costuming days, otherwise I might not have had a clue. I just eyeballed it and sketched it out with pencil, though the hood ended up just a little small, even after doing it over. Everything was painted with acrylic paints and was made over the course of a total of maybe 2 days with many a Psych and Hell's Kitchen episodes.

And though I might not be 100% happy with it and it doesn't look exactly like the one from the movie, my 5 1/2 year old niece saw the picture I texted to my sister and had to call me up right away to say how excited she was to get it, and that made everything perfect.

No comments: